One killed, 25 injured in Posco clash
Paradip (Orissa): A man was killed and 25
others were injured today in a clash between anti-Posco
brigade and a private contractor over construction of a
coastal road linking the steel plant site near here.
Jagatsinghpur SP S Devadutt Singh said crude bombs and
other weapons were used by the clashing groups and a person,
identified as Dijabar Swain (30) of Kujanga area, died in the
Two others, who went missing for some time after the
clash, have been found and both are safe, he said.
While 15 injured belonged to Posco Pratirodh Sangram
Samiti (PPSS), the deceased and 10 others had been engaged by
the contractor, police said.
No arrest had been made so far and investigation was on,
Singh said adding two complaints had been received from both
The clash took place a day after the contractor, awarded
the road construction work by Industrial Infrastructure
Development Corporation, resumed work for the 10-km
controversial coastal road from Mahal near IOCL refinery to
the proposed Posco site with hi-tech machines after 90 days,
PPSS and local villagers had been opposing the coastal
road project since long.
Tension ran high this morning when alleged hired goons of
the contractor forcibly evicted PPSS activists who were on
dharna at the road construction site.
District Collector N C Jena said the administration had
not been informed of the construction work and so no police
were deployed at the site.
Holding the state government responsible for the clash,
Congress, CPI and CPI-M have demanded a judicial probe into
Slamming the state government for awarding the job to a
private contractor without any open tender, state Congress
president Niranjan Patnaik alleged that people with criminal
background were given the construction work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks