One killed, 25 injured in Posco clash
Paradip (Orissa): A man was killed and 25
others were injured today in a clash between anti-Posco
brigade and a private contractor over construction of a
coastal road linking the steel plant site near here.
Jagatsinghpur SP S Devadutt Singh said crude bombs and
other weapons were used by the clashing groups and a person,
identified as Dijabar Swain (30) of Kujanga area, died in the
Two others, who went missing for some time after the
clash, have been found and both are safe, he said.
While 15 injured belonged to Posco Pratirodh Sangram
Samiti (PPSS), the deceased and 10 others had been engaged by
the contractor, police said.
No arrest had been made so far and investigation was on,
Singh said adding two complaints had been received from both
The clash took place a day after the contractor, awarded
the road construction work by Industrial Infrastructure
Development Corporation, resumed work for the 10-km
controversial coastal road from Mahal near IOCL refinery to
the proposed Posco site with hi-tech machines after 90 days,
PPSS and local villagers had been opposing the coastal
road project since long.
Tension ran high this morning when alleged hired goons of
the contractor forcibly evicted PPSS activists who were on
dharna at the road construction site.
District Collector N C Jena said the administration had
not been informed of the construction work and so no police
were deployed at the site.
Holding the state government responsible for the clash,
Congress, CPI and CPI-M have demanded a judicial probe into
Slamming the state government for awarding the job to a
private contractor without any open tender, state Congress
president Niranjan Patnaik alleged that people with criminal
background were given the construction work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez