One killed, 3 hurt in Kandhamal rehab centre blast
Phulbani (Orissa): One person was killed
and three others injured when a crude bomb being prepared at a
rehabilitation centre in Kandhamal district exploded on Sunday.
The incident occurred this afternoon when the crude
explosive went off when it was being prepared by a man at a
tent located in the middle of the rehabilitation centre at
Nandagiri, 54 km from here, Kandhamal SP Praveen Kumar said.
Rejecting any communal angle into the incident, he
said initially it appeared as if a miscreant hurled the bomb
at the rehabilitation centre but probe revealed that it
exploded in the tent occupied by one Patrasen Mallick.
While Mallick and two others sustained injuries,
another person whose identity was not yet known, died on the
Mallick was hospitalised at G Udaygiri and the other
two injured were discharged after administering first aid.
Police, however, did not rule out possibility of
Maoist involvement in the incident as the deceased did not
belong to the rehabilitation centre.
A subsequent search at the centre also led to seizure
of four country-made guns, the SP said adding that police was
investigating the matter.
The police have intensified patrolling in the place.
About 53 riot hit families who had lost their houses and
refused to return to villages at Betikela due to fear, were
provided land by the state government to set up a colony,
official sources said.
Of the 53 families, 40 were staying at the place in
temporary tents while preparing to construct houses, they said
adding that land dispute could be a reason behind the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note