One killed in Posco clashes, tension in area
Bhubaneswar: Hundreds of armed policemen patrolled Odisha`s coastal Jagatsinghpur district on Thursday after a person was killed in clashes over the construction of a road in the area, officials said.
"We are keeping close watch on the situation. Police patrolling has been intensified as the situation remains tense," district superintendent of police SSDD Singh told a news agency.
A construction firm worker was killed and two others injured when clashes broke out near Dhinkia village in the district Wednesday afternoon between villagers and workers over construction of a road.
The clashes erupted after hundreds of villagers opposed to Posco`s USD 12 billion project in the area did not allow workers to carry out construction works.
While police said the protesters attacked the workers and hurled locally-made crude bombs, opponents of the project said people at the construction site first attacked the villagers with sticks and axes and hurled bombs.
The foundation stone for the 10-km coastal road was laid in August but work had stopped midway after local protests. Although the work had resumed Tuesday, authorities had to halt it again after Wednesday`s clashes.
While the state government says the road will improve communication, the project-opponents say the move is intended to speed up work for the South Korean major`s planned steel plant.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know