One killed, three injured in firing in Orissa
Paradip: A contractor was shot dead and
three others were seriously injured in an exchange of fire
between two rival groups at Biridi in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur
district, police said on Thursday.
The shoot-out took place last night following a verbal
duel between two groups over tender award for a canal work in
the area, Inspector In-Charge of Biridi police station
Amareswar Panda said.
While contractor Panchanan Rout (40) died on the spot,
his nephew Samir Rout (25) and cousin Kishore Rout (30)
sustained injuries, he said adding that Sukadeb Behera (35) of
another group, also a contractor was also injured.
The injured were taken to SCB Medical college and
hospital at Cuttack for treatment, Panda said.
There was a dispute between Sukadeba Behera and
Panchanan Rout, both having criminal record, over a tender for
a canal repair work from Irrigation department, police said.
As the incident triggered tension, security was
tightened and additional force deployed in the area in order
to prevent any major flare up, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state