One killed, three injured in firing in Orissa
Paradip: A contractor was shot dead and
three others were seriously injured in an exchange of fire
between two rival groups at Biridi in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur
district, police said on Thursday.
The shoot-out took place last night following a verbal
duel between two groups over tender award for a canal work in
the area, Inspector In-Charge of Biridi police station
Amareswar Panda said.
While contractor Panchanan Rout (40) died on the spot,
his nephew Samir Rout (25) and cousin Kishore Rout (30)
sustained injuries, he said adding that Sukadeb Behera (35) of
another group, also a contractor was also injured.
The injured were taken to SCB Medical college and
hospital at Cuttack for treatment, Panda said.
There was a dispute between Sukadeba Behera and
Panchanan Rout, both having criminal record, over a tender for
a canal repair work from Irrigation department, police said.
As the incident triggered tension, security was
tightened and additional force deployed in the area in order
to prevent any major flare up, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued