One swept away in Mayurbhanj, flash floods in North Odisha
Bhubaneswar: At least one person died after being swept away in the depression induced flash flood in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district while several villages were marooned in three north Odisha districts, official sources said.
Uninterrupted heavy rain fall since August 19 have led to rise in the water level in several rivers in the districts of Mayurbhanj, Balasore and Keonjhar, the sources said, adding that the state government had already launched rescue and relief operations in the affected areas.
Laxmikant Mohanty (24) of Salagaon under Baisingha police station was swept away in the flash flood while he was crossing the village road over which the flood water of rivers Budhabalang and Gangahada were overflowing this afternoon.
His body was found at Balapatana at the downstream, they said, adding that Mohanty`s friend Gopinath Masant was rescued by the villagers.
The incessant rain has caused flood in river Budhabalang, Gangahada, Jambira, Subarnarekha, Chipat and Jarali rivers in Mayurbhaj, said the district collector R P Patil, adding that adequate steps have been taken to provide relief to the affected people.
At least 74 villages under the three blocks of Rasgobindpur, Badasahi and six wards of Baripada Municipality area in Mayurbhanj district have been affected in floods, an official at the district emergency cell said.
Similarly, the water level in rivers in Subarnarekha and Jalaka was flowing above danger levels in Balasore district causing floods in Baliapal and Basta blocks of the district, they said.
The river Baitarani was flowing above the danger level at Anandapur in Keonjhar district, they said, adding that the authorities of the three districts have been put on alert to face the flood situations.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!