Oppn demands judicial probe into Posco violence
Bhubaneswar: Opposition parties in Orissa
on Thursday held the state government responsible for the death of a
man during a clash in the Posco steel plant site near Paradip
and demanded a judicial probe into the violence.
In separate statements, leaders of Congress, BJP, CPI,
CPI-M, Forward Bloc, RJD and Samajwadi Party demanded complete
halt to all project-related work including construction of
coastal road to link the Posco site.
Hitting out at the ruling BJD over the incident, state
Congress president Niranjan Patnaik said the state government,
particularly Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, was responsible
for the violent clash.
There should be an impartial investigation, if possible a
judicial enquiry, into the incident, he said adding till
completion of probe no project-related work should be allowed
in proposed Posco plant site.
At a joint press conference, CPI state secretary Dibakar
Nayak, CPI-M`s Janardan Pati, FB`s Santosh Mishra, RJD`s
Harish Mohapatra and SP`s Rabi Behera said despite Naveen
Patnaik`s claim about peaceful industrialisation, `private
militia` was being used to terrorise people opposing Posco
Demanding a judicial probe into the violence, they said
till completion of the inquiry nobody associated with Posco
work should be allowed to enter the area.
Attacking Industrial Infrastructure Development
Corporation (IDCO) for awarding coastal road construction work
to an agency without floating tender, the leaders said in the
absence of any MoU or agreement with Posco at present, no
project related work should be undertaken.
Senior BJP leader Ashok Sahu also slammed the state
government for road construction work in the absence of MoU
with the South Korean company.
BJP and Congress also sent two teams to the site of
Wednesday`s violence for a spot inquiry, while CPI organised
demonstrations at Bhubaneswar, Puri, Ganjam and Gajapati.
A protest conclave was held by CPI, CPI-M, FB, RJD and
SP at Patana in the proposed Posco project site against the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'