Opposition leader ends dharna in Odisha House, CM to reply on Tuesday
Bhubaneswar: Leader of Opposition in Odisha Assembly Bhupinder Singh on Monday withdrew his dharna in the well of the House, after assurances by the Speaker that Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik will on Tuesday reply to the debate on the issue of burning to death of a woman teacher.
Normalcy returned to the House after Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat assured Singh, who had been protesting since Saturday afternoon, assured that Patnaik would reply the adjournment debate on the case.
"Chief Minister will reply the adjournment debate on the murder of a lady teacher tomorrow," Amat announced as Singh refused to call off his dharna in well of the House earlier in the morning.
As soon as the House assembled for the day at 10.30 AM, speaker Amat requested Singh to call off the dharna and cooperate with him to carry out the proceeding.
However, Singh refused to budge unless the Chief Minister was asked to reply to the debate. Unable to break the stalemate, Amat adjourned the house till 12.30 PM.
When the House reassembled at 12.30 PM, the Speaker made the announcement which was accepted by Singh and other Congress members.
"We are not in favour of paralysing the House. However, there was an attempt that some other minister (other than Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik) would reply to the debate on the lady teacher`s murder case to be held today. Therefore, I was forced to sit on dharna on Saturday demanding CM`s reply," Singh said.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Kalpataru Das also told the House that the Chief Minister was not scared to reply on the issue as alleged by the Opposition.
"The CM has been making replies on every adjournment debates so far taken up in the House," Das said.
Senior BJD member and former Minister Pradeep Maharathy, however, said that it was not decent on part of the leader of Opposition to sit on dharna in the Well of the House.
"As the government is a collective responsibility, any minister can reply any debate," Maharathy argued.
With Congress members returning to their respective seats, the House functioned as usual and scheduled to debate on the expenditure relating to the water resources department and agriculture department in the afternoon session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy