Ordinance promulgated on Polavaram project
New Delhi: As Telangana becomes the 29th state on June 2, government on Thursday promulgated an ordinance merging some villages and mandals of Telangana into Seemandhra in a bid to deal with resettlement and rehabilitation of those displaced by Polavaram power project.
The ordinance, cleared by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday, aims to facilitate smooth resettlement and rehabilitation on part of Polavaram multi-purpose project.
The amendment will enable land for land in the same revenue division where people will be displaced.
Politicians from Khammam district of Telangana region were demanding that Polavaram submergence areas in Bhadrachalam revenue division should not be merged with Seemandhra region.
The Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2014 amends Section 3 of the main Act which seeks to create a separate state of Telangana.
Earlier today, Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said the Cabinet has approved the recommendation of the Home Ministry.
Responding to posers on Telangana Chief Minister-designate K Chandrasekhar Rao`s bandh call to protest the transfer of villages to Seemandhra, he said, "There is no controversy."
"Please understand. The issue was decided earlier. The Cabinet had decided on Pollavaram project. The decision was taken long back. It was approved by many parties. Congress said they will go for ordinance, they did not bring. Keeping the broad unity of Parliament, the decision was taken.
"We have fulfilled the promise made both by BJP and Congress. There is no controversy. As far as central government is concerned, both regions are important. When the bill was passed, all parties celebrated it, including parties opposing it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25