Ordinance promulgated on Polavaram project
New Delhi: As Telangana becomes the 29th state on June 2, government on Thursday promulgated an ordinance merging some villages and mandals of Telangana into Seemandhra in a bid to deal with resettlement and rehabilitation of those displaced by Polavaram power project.
The ordinance, cleared by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday, aims to facilitate smooth resettlement and rehabilitation on part of Polavaram multi-purpose project.
The amendment will enable land for land in the same revenue division where people will be displaced.
Politicians from Khammam district of Telangana region were demanding that Polavaram submergence areas in Bhadrachalam revenue division should not be merged with Seemandhra region.
The Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2014 amends Section 3 of the main Act which seeks to create a separate state of Telangana.
Earlier today, Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said the Cabinet has approved the recommendation of the Home Ministry.
Responding to posers on Telangana Chief Minister-designate K Chandrasekhar Rao`s bandh call to protest the transfer of villages to Seemandhra, he said, "There is no controversy."
"Please understand. The issue was decided earlier. The Cabinet had decided on Pollavaram project. The decision was taken long back. It was approved by many parties. Congress said they will go for ordinance, they did not bring. Keeping the broad unity of Parliament, the decision was taken.
"We have fulfilled the promise made both by BJP and Congress. There is no controversy. As far as central government is concerned, both regions are important. When the bill was passed, all parties celebrated it, including parties opposing it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?