Orissa: 17 Dusshera revellers killed as truck overturns
Koraput: Seventeen people were on Friday killed and 19 others injured when a tipper truck carrying Dusshera revellers overturned in Orissa`s Koraput district.
The incident took place at Dasaamtapur, about 60 km from here, when the driver of the tipper lost control over the vehicle while negotiating a sharp turn, SP Anoop Sahu said.
The vehicle was carrying around 40 people, who were returning home after watching a folk theatre in a nearby village.
Fourteen people died on the spot, while three succumbed to injuries in the hospital, the SP said, adding that seven women and eight children were among the victims.
Earlier, it was reported that 18 Dusshera revellers died in the accident.
The victims belonged to Bedhapadar, Mangalaguda, Bangaguda and Sembitotaguda areas.
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state