Orissa agriculture minister gets bail
Paradip (Orissa): Orissa`s Agriculture
minister Damodar Rout, accused of hurting sentiments of
Dalits by uttering the word "Harijan", has been granted bail
by a lower court at Kujang in Jagatsinghpur district on Monday.
While allowing bail for the minister, the Judicial
Magistrate (first class) of Kujang in Jagatsinghpur district
has asked Rout to cooperate with the investigating agency and
not to influence witnesses.
The court also cautioned the minister not to utter the
word "Harijan" in future.
The BJD leader, who personally appeared before the
court furnished a bond of Rs 20,000 and two surety.
While addressing a public meeting in August 2010, Rout
had used the word Harijan, which hurt the sentimates of
One Manoj Kumar Bhoi had filed a FIR at Kujang police
station on August 21, 2010 against the minister for his
Rout moved the lower court after the Orissa High Court
denied him an anticipatory bail in the case. However, the High
Court had suggested the minister to approach the lower court
for a regular bail.
Even the issue was echoed in the state assembly
and the minister had clarified that "he will not attend the
assembly if the court issues warrant against me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends