Orissa asks ASI to submit report on Konark Sun temple
Bhubaneswar: Concerned over conservation
of the 13th century Sun Temple at Konark, Orissa government
has asked the Archaeological Survey of India to immediately
submit its verification report.
A high-power committee of the ASI headed by its joint
director general B R Mani inspected the temple on October 20
and 21, but the government was yet to get a report on the
findings, Culture minister Debi Prasad Mishra said today while
replying to a question in the assembly.
The ASI`s inspection took place after Chief Minister
Naveen Patnaik drew Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s attention
that the Black Pagoda, declared a World Heritage Monument by
UNESCO, was neglected.
Joint verifications had taken place at the Sun Temple on
June 17 and October 13 following reports that stones were
falling off, Mishra said.
Though Konark temple came under the protection of ASI in
1915, the conservation, preservation and development was taken
up after creation of Bhubaneswar circle of ASI in 1985.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened