Orissa begins preparation for 2012 panchayat polls
Bhubaneswar: With elections for the
three-tire panchayat polls due in January-February, 2012,
Orissa Government has asked the district collectors to
complete the task of delimitation and reservation of seats by
the end of next month, official sources said on Thursday.
Panchayati Raj department in letters to collectors of
30 districts said that task of delimitation and reservation of
seats should be completed within the time frame to meet the
deadline given by the State Election Commission (SEC).
Though SEC had earlier sought list of delimitation and
reservation of seats by April 30, it was requested to extend
time till June end as the state had not completed amendment to
the Orissa Panchayat Act to include 50 percent of reservation
of seats for women. Subsequnetly final date for submitting the
lists was set on June 30, official sources said.
According to the calendar, delimitation of wards and
constituencies wherever necessary and also reservation of
seats for members and chairpersons of Gram Panchayat(GP) and
Panchayat Samiti(PS), will be complete by June 15,
department secretary P K Jena said.
While issuing guidelines for reservation to the
offices of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRI) members for the
Election 2012, the state government has asked the collectors
to adopt Census 2001 Report as determining factor for
computation of number of seats to be reserved for SC and
The state government which had earlier conducted
panchayat polls with reservation of 33 per cent seats for
women would this time make provision of 50 percent
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list