Orissa CM demands special category status, region specific plan
Bhubaneswar: Demanding special category
status for the state, Orissa Government on Monday said the 12th
five-year-plan should have region-specific programmes.
"Instead of having a uniform programme for the entire
country, there should be region specific plans. Orissa should
also be given a special category status" Chief Minister,
Naveen Patnaik said.
He was speaking to reporters here after attending the
regional consultation for finalising approach paper of the
12th five-year plan at Patna.
Stating that uniform programmes for the entire country
had produced distorted growth, Patnaik said this created
inequalities within different parts of the country.
Though the state government had been giving special
attention to the poverty stricken KBK (Kalahandi-Bolangir-
Koraput) region, Patnaik said those were not sufficient to
remove regional disparity.
Therefore, Patnaik demanded extention of revised long
term action plan (RLTP) for KBK region for at least 10 years
beyond the 11th Plan with increased funding.
Stating that PPP alone cannot be the answer to
infrastructure development in most eastern states, Patnaik
said that mobilising adequate resources for high quality
infrastructure in poor states was a greater challenge.
He said the 12th Plan should have appropriate central
schemes for liberal funding of infrastructure projects in poor
"The 12th Plan should also focus on substantially
improving human development indicators and stepping up
investments in social sectors, particularly health, education,
poverty eradication and other social safety nets," Patnaik
The chief minister pointed out that mineral bearing
states like Orissa were losing out because of low royalty
rates, delayed revision of rates of royalty and incorrect
methods of calculation. "We urge upon the Centre to revise the
royalty structure," he said.
Coal bearing states including Orissa must be suitably
compensated for the associated economic, environmental and
social cost of coal mining, Patnaik said.
Patnaik also told the Planning Commission that there
was a need to enhance funding for irrigation and agriculture
for giving a boost to the rural economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof