Orissa: Cong MLAs on rampage over debate on quota
Bhubaneswar: Orissa assembly witnessed
repeated adjournments on Thursday with Congress and BJP members
scaling the speaker`s podium and breaking his mike while
demanding a discussion on alleged non-implementation of
reservation policy in the appointment of Sikshya Sahayaks.
Congress and BJP MLAs who had earlier served a notice
for bringing an adjournment motion on the issue relating to
reservation for ST and SC candidates, stormed into the well
shouting slogans as speaker Pradip Kumar Amat asked Law
minister Bikram Keshari Arukh to move a motion on the Orissa
Civil Courts (Amendment) Bill, 2011.
"The government did not allow us to hold a discussion on
the issue despite having claimed that it was ready for debate
on any issue," leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh said.
As the speaker went ahead with his announcement, the
opposition members trooped into the well shouting anti-
-government slogans. While some of them were seen standing
on the reporters` tables, other climbed on the speaker`s
podium and broke his mike.
Unable to manage the ruckus, Amat adjourned the house
thrice before the Bill was passed amid noisy scenes. He also
asked the Cooperative minister to introduce another Bill even
as the opposition members were shouting in the well.
As the din continued the house was adjourned till 3 pm.
"As the government was appointing contractual
teachers, no reservation policy was being followed. These
contractual teachers were being made regular while ST and SC
candidates were not getting a scope to be eligible for the
posts," BJP supported Independent member Pratap Sarangi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation