Orissa court convicts six in Kandhamal riot case
Bhubaneswar: A fast track court in Orissa Wednesday sentenced six people to three years imprisonment for torching the house of a villager in Kandhamal last year, an official said.
"Six people have been convicted in the Kandhamal riot case. Each of them has been awarded three year jail term," public prosecutor P.K. Patra said.
"The convicted were accused of torching the house of Duryodhan Digal of Kuru Patia village in Kandhamal on Aug 25 last year. Digal had taken a bank loan to built his house," he added.
The judgement was pronounced by Fast Track Court-II judge Chitta Ranjan Das.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23, 2008.
More than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after they were attacked by mobs, which held Christians responsible for Saraswati`s killing, although police blamed the Maoists.
The government had set up two fast track courts to try cases related to the communal violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi