Orissa detects two PSUs among 13 illegal miners
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa government has unearthed evidence that two state-run public sector companies are among 13 mine lessees indulging in illegal mining activities in the state, official sources said.
The state government is processing a showcause notice that is likely to be served against its own PSUs – Orissa Mining Corporation and IDCOL -- over violation of mining rules, the sources said.
Orissa Steel and Mines Minister Raghunath Mohanty confirmed that a notice will be sent to OMC. "The state government has been processing a showcause notice against OMC on the charge of violation detected," he said.
State-owned IDCOL was also found violating lease covenants, a senior official in the Mines Department said.
OMC, considered the highest revenue generating PSU for the state, was found indulging in illegal mining activities at twp chromite mines, while IDCOL was violating norms at a third.
Of the 13 mine lessees found indulging in illegal mining activity in 2009 and 2010, two were state PSUs operating three separate chromite mines, they said.
The others include Essel Mining & Industries Limited, S N Das Mohpatra, Indrani Patnaik, Arjun Lada, M S Deb and Ram Bahadur Thakur (RBT).
OMC, which was allotted 502.457 hectares of land at South Kaliapani in Jajpur district for mining chromite, was found to have encroached into another leasehold area.
Similarly, OMC was also found violating mining rules at its Kaliapani, Ostopal and Gurjang chromite mines in Jajpur district, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow