Orissa doctors call off stir in 3 medical colleges
Bhubaneswar: Agitating junior doctors of
the three state-run medical colleges in Orissa on Saturday called
off their strike and resumed work in `public interest`, two
days after a high court passed an order on the matter.
"We have called off the strike and doctors have already
resumed duty in the interest of the people," President of
Junior Doctors Association (JDA), Burla Medical College,
Premraj Debata told reporters here.
The decision to withdraw the nearly three-week stir was
taken following a meeting with Orissa Health Minister
Prasanna Acharya, JDA leaders said.
While junior doctors of SCB Medical college and hospital
at Cuttack and MKCG Medical college, Berhampur, resumed duty
today, those of VSS Medical college and hospital would join
duty tomorrow, Debata said.
He said the decision to end the strike was taken in view
of the Orissa High Court order, public interest and assurance
given by the state government though some of the demands of
the medicos were yet to be met.
The Orissa High Court had on September 22 directed the
state government to provide adequate security at all three
government medical colleges and ensure that the prohibitory
orders against some persons from entering VSS Medical College
and Hospital at Burla are strictly enforced.
The high court had also hoped that good sense would
prevail upon the striking doctors who would call off their
strike and join their duties.
The High Court had directed the SP Sambalpur to strictly
enforce the prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC
promulgated against Burla BJD leader Sisir Dandia, Jagannath
Rao, Santosh Kumar Jena and S Subramaniam.
Junior doctors, house surgeons and post-graduate students
of the three government medical colleges had been at
loggerheads with the government expressing solidarity with
students of VSS Medical College, Burla, who were agitating in
protest against alleged assault by outsiders near the campus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata