Orissa farmer suicides not due to agricultural activities: Govt
Bhubaneswar: The state government on Tuesday
claimed that none of the 2632 farmers suicides during the last
ten years in Orissa was triggered by agricultural activities.
Rejecting opposition allegations that farmers in large
numbers committed suicide either due to debt trap or repeated
crop failure, state agriculture minister Damodar Rout said
that 2632 farmers died due to "some other reasons", mostly
"Not a single farmer suicide case has its link with
agricultural activities," Rout said in reply to a question in
The minister, however, admitted that 2575 farmers had
ended their lives between 2000 and 2008 according to figures
given by the crime bureau.
"Fifty-seven farmers also committed suicides in 2009
and 2010 (till November 15). But no suicide case is related to
agricultural activities," he claimed.
Altogether 378 farmers committed suicide in 2004
followed by 365 in 2003 and 345 in 2002.
Participating in a debate on distress sale of paddy,
Congress member Sadhu Nepak asked the government to "admit"
that the farmer suicide deaths were due to crop failure and
loan trap. He also sought compensation to families of such
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez