Orissa flood: Jawan drowns after saving 60 people
Bhubaneswar: A jawan and his colleagues
were successful in rescuing 60 people from the roof top of a
house in flood-hit Orissa, but while returning he fell off the
relief boat and drowned, official sources said here on Sunday.
Aswini Kanungo (28), member of a rescue team of the
Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force, had gone to Mathura
village of Jajpur district to rescue marooned people and
helped 60 people including women and children to come down
from a roof top to their relief boat on Friday.
While returning, Kanungo fell off the boat and despite
being a trained swimmer remained missing for the past two
days. His body was recovered today, sources said.
Married only three months ago, Kanungo`s wife would
get Rs 9.5 lakh and a government job, Minister for Revenue and
Disaster Management S N Patra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'