Orissa flood: Jawan drowns after saving 60 people
Bhubaneswar: A jawan and his colleagues
were successful in rescuing 60 people from the roof top of a
house in flood-hit Orissa, but while returning he fell off the
relief boat and drowned, official sources said here on Sunday.
Aswini Kanungo (28), member of a rescue team of the
Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force, had gone to Mathura
village of Jajpur district to rescue marooned people and
helped 60 people including women and children to come down
from a roof top to their relief boat on Friday.
While returning, Kanungo fell off the boat and despite
being a trained swimmer remained missing for the past two
days. His body was recovered today, sources said.
Married only three months ago, Kanungo`s wife would
get Rs 9.5 lakh and a government job, Minister for Revenue and
Disaster Management S N Patra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!