Orissa flood: Jawan drowns after saving 60 people
Bhubaneswar: A jawan and his colleagues
were successful in rescuing 60 people from the roof top of a
house in flood-hit Orissa, but while returning he fell off the
relief boat and drowned, official sources said here on Sunday.
Aswini Kanungo (28), member of a rescue team of the
Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force, had gone to Mathura
village of Jajpur district to rescue marooned people and
helped 60 people including women and children to come down
from a roof top to their relief boat on Friday.
While returning, Kanungo fell off the boat and despite
being a trained swimmer remained missing for the past two
days. His body was recovered today, sources said.
Married only three months ago, Kanungo`s wife would
get Rs 9.5 lakh and a government job, Minister for Revenue and
Disaster Management S N Patra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!