Orissa floods: Weaving sector hard hit in Kendrapa
Kendrapara: The recent flood has
ravaged the weaving-based economy of several villages in
Marshaghai and Patkura areas of Kendrapara district with water
damaging weavers` houses one after the other.
As many 392 weaver families of 15 villages were badly
affected by the flood, official source said today.
Sixty two-year-old Saraswati Sethy of Narasinghpur
village Saraswati had borrowed Rs 24,000 from a women`s self
help group for installing a couple of looms in her house after
her husband became immobile due to old-age ailments.
With help from her son and daughter, she had been
doing well but last month`s floodwater has reduced the
scheduled caste woman`s looms and house to heaps of rubbles.
"Flood water washed away my house and looms in no
time. It took away my source of income with it. I am still
carrying the burden of a loan of Rs 15,000. There is little
hope now to start the weaving occupation afresh," she said.
Like hers, more than a hundred looms were washed away
in villages like Narasinghpur, Korua, Atabuha, Haripur,
Kalabuda, Dihasahi, Nadiabarei and Ramachandrapur, the sources
"Demand for hand-woven cotton clothes, towels and
handkerchiefs has gone up in recent times. We were earning
decent incomes from the looms. But the floods gave a blow to
weaving sector," said Sudarshan Tarai of Kalabuda village.
"According to our assessment the weaving sector has
suffered extensive damage. Many weavers have lost looms,
accessories to raw materials. Unless they are compensated on
time, most of them may give up weaving," said Nirmal Dalei,
inspector of textiles in Kendrapara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!