Orissa floods: Weaving sector hard hit in Kendrapa
Kendrapara: The recent flood has
ravaged the weaving-based economy of several villages in
Marshaghai and Patkura areas of Kendrapara district with water
damaging weavers` houses one after the other.
As many 392 weaver families of 15 villages were badly
affected by the flood, official source said today.
Sixty two-year-old Saraswati Sethy of Narasinghpur
village Saraswati had borrowed Rs 24,000 from a women`s self
help group for installing a couple of looms in her house after
her husband became immobile due to old-age ailments.
With help from her son and daughter, she had been
doing well but last month`s floodwater has reduced the
scheduled caste woman`s looms and house to heaps of rubbles.
"Flood water washed away my house and looms in no
time. It took away my source of income with it. I am still
carrying the burden of a loan of Rs 15,000. There is little
hope now to start the weaving occupation afresh," she said.
Like hers, more than a hundred looms were washed away
in villages like Narasinghpur, Korua, Atabuha, Haripur,
Kalabuda, Dihasahi, Nadiabarei and Ramachandrapur, the sources
"Demand for hand-woven cotton clothes, towels and
handkerchiefs has gone up in recent times. We were earning
decent incomes from the looms. But the floods gave a blow to
weaving sector," said Sudarshan Tarai of Kalabuda village.
"According to our assessment the weaving sector has
suffered extensive damage. Many weavers have lost looms,
accessories to raw materials. Unless they are compensated on
time, most of them may give up weaving," said Nirmal Dalei,
inspector of textiles in Kendrapara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Iris with 'iris recognition' launched in India at Rs 13,999
- JKLF chief Yasin Malik detained in Srinagar ahead of Thursday's shutdown
- IPL 2016: Revealed – This is Sunrisers Hyderabad's Mustafizur Rahman’s biggest fear!
- Centre renames disability department; 'viklang' to be called as 'divyang'
- Sensex soars 576 points to log biggest one-day rally in nearly 3 months