Orissa gears up post-relief ops, flood toll 40
Bhubaneswar: With water receding in all
rivers, Orissa government on Thursday said it has stepped up post-
relief operation to restore normalcy in flood-affected areas.
"The departments like health and family welfare, rural
development, panchayati raj, works, water resources and women
and child welfare have been asked to take up post-relief
activities on war footing," Revenue and Disaster Management
Minister SN Patro said.
Claiming that most of the worst-hit areas are now
accessible by roads and some places could be reached by boats,
Patro said the government has decided to withdraw air-dropping
of food materials from tomorrow.
The death toll in the second spell of floods has rose to
40 while two other persons remain missing, Patro said.
At least 41 people were killed in the first spell of
flood in the Mahanadi river system earlier this month.
Works and rural development departments which look after
village roads have assured the government of starting road
restoration works within two days after water receded, Special
Relief Commissioner PK Mohapatra said.
Several health teams had gone to the flood-hit districts,
Senior officials of health and rural development
departments have been posted in specific areas to ensure that
restoration works are completed within time-frame.
Apprehending outbreak of epidemic after the floods, Chief
Minister Naveen Patnaik has stressed on sanitation activities.
"Each village where flood water entered will get Rs 1,000 for
cleaning while each block headquarters be sanctioned Rs 25,000
for sanitation activities," Patro said.
All tubewells and drinking water sources shall be
disinfected as soon as water recedes, while all flood-hit
farmers would be given agricultural subsidy before the rabi
crop season, he said.
Twenty-one of the 30 districts of the state were affected
by successive floods in both Mahanadi river system as well as
rivers like Brahmani, Baitarani, Budhabalang and Subarnarekha,
official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble