Orissa gives forest land rights to 28,400 tribal families
Bhubaneswar: Orissa government has
distributed 81,865 acres forest land among tribal families
since August under the Forest Rights Act, 2006, state Land
Revenue Minister S N Patro said.
"Of the total 3,04,530 applications by tribals living in
forests, 28,400 people had been provided with land rights
documents (pattas) by October 9 this year," he said.
Patro, who attended a review meeting chaired by Chief
Minister Naveen Patnaik here on settlement of forest land
rights to tribals, said the government began providing
documents to tribals on August 19.
A maximum of two acres of forest land under cultivation
could be allotted to each tribal family, Patro said.
With a large number of applications pending for disposal,
the chief minister directed the revenue and tribal welfare
department to expedite the land distribution activities.
Patnaik has also asked officials to immediately start
survey of land and convert forest land to revenue land so that
the tribals do not face any problem.
The southern division disposed maximum of 68 per cent of
applications, followed by northern division of 50.8 percent
and 28.81 per cent by central division, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!