Orissa govt demands more funds for local bodies
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa government on Tuesday
demanded that central funds for local bodies be hiked to Rs
1,000 crore and also sought inclusion of Cuttack city under
the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who met Union Urban
Development minister S Jaipal Reddy in New Delhi, demanded
that the allocation, which was only Rs.181.79 crore for 101
local bodies in Orissa, be enhanced to Rs.1000 crore.
He said the more funds were required as the state was
implementing key urban reforms and projects sanctioned under
Urban Infrastructure Development Scheme for Small and Medium
Referring to JNNURM, Patnaik said only two cities in
Orissa, Bhubaneswar and Puri, have been included under it,
while the Integrated Sewerage Project and Conservation of
Bindusagar Project has been taken up in Bhubaneswar.
Patnaik asked the Centre to take steps for inclusion
of Cuttack also under the JNNURM, sources in the chief
minister`s office here said.
He requested Reddy for early release of first
instalment of the central share for 12 drinking water supply
projects sanctioned and second instalment for five ongoing
road projects in Cuttack, water bodies restoration projects in
Cuttack and Berhampur towns and water supply projects in
Sambalpur and Koraput towns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video