Orissa govt in talks with Posco agitators
Bhubaneswar: Amid stiff resistance to
Posco steel project, Orissa government on Tuesday said talks were
on with agitators to resolve the issue as work at proposed
plant site near Paradip was stalled for the third consecutive
day due to a road blockade at a key junction.
"The district administration of Jagatsinghpur is
holding talks with villagers in the proposed Posco plant area
to convince them about benefits of the project," Chief
Secretary B K Patnaik told reporters here.
To a query, he said there is no proposal at present
for discussion at the chief minister`s level as talks are
being held between the district administration and locals on a
regular basis to resolve the issue.
Talks with protesters assumed significance as work at
the proposed Posco site in Jagatsinghpur district was stalled
for the third day with locals staging a road blockade at a
key junction pressing for their demands including enhanced
compensation to land losers.
"People have blocked the road near Balisahi making it
difficult for our teams to proceed for boundary wall and
rehabilitation colony construction," Basudev Prodhan,
Tahasildar of Kujang said.
Balisahi junction is the place from where roads lead
to Nuagaon and Dhinkia panchayts in the proposed site for Rs
52,000 crore Posco steel project near Paradip.
Due to the road blockade, armed police were unable to
proceed and are now staying near Mahabirpeetha of Nuagaon,
about four km from Balisahi, sources said.
Protesting against felling of trees near Noliasahi-
Polang area, slogan-shouting United Action Committee (UAC)
activists squatted on the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?