Orissa govt in talks with Posco agitators
Bhubaneswar: Amid stiff resistance to
Posco steel project, Orissa government on Tuesday said talks were
on with agitators to resolve the issue as work at proposed
plant site near Paradip was stalled for the third consecutive
day due to a road blockade at a key junction.
"The district administration of Jagatsinghpur is
holding talks with villagers in the proposed Posco plant area
to convince them about benefits of the project," Chief
Secretary B K Patnaik told reporters here.
To a query, he said there is no proposal at present
for discussion at the chief minister`s level as talks are
being held between the district administration and locals on a
regular basis to resolve the issue.
Talks with protesters assumed significance as work at
the proposed Posco site in Jagatsinghpur district was stalled
for the third day with locals staging a road blockade at a
key junction pressing for their demands including enhanced
compensation to land losers.
"People have blocked the road near Balisahi making it
difficult for our teams to proceed for boundary wall and
rehabilitation colony construction," Basudev Prodhan,
Tahasildar of Kujang said.
Balisahi junction is the place from where roads lead
to Nuagaon and Dhinkia panchayts in the proposed site for Rs
52,000 crore Posco steel project near Paradip.
Due to the road blockade, armed police were unable to
proceed and are now staying near Mahabirpeetha of Nuagaon,
about four km from Balisahi, sources said.
Protesting against felling of trees near Noliasahi-
Polang area, slogan-shouting United Action Committee (UAC)
activists squatted on the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested