Orissa govt orders afforestation in Paradip area
Bhubaneswar: With lakhs of trees to be cut to set up the mega steel project by Posco and Indian Oil Corporation`s refinery at Paradip, Orissa government asked the Forest department to ensure compensatory afforestation in the area, official sources said today.
"Forest Department has been directed to initiate pre-plantation activities for compensatory and extensive plantation against the forest land acquired for projects like Paradeep Refinery and Posco," chief secretary B K Patnaik said after reviewing green activities in Paradip area.
The compensatory afforestation work should follow the tree failing activities in Jagatsinghpur district.
About 31.5 Acre of forest land is to be acquired for construction of coastal-cum-sea surge protection wall in Paradip, review revealed adding that for the purpose, the same quantity of non-forest land has been transferred to Forest and Environment Department for afforestation.
Similarly, land has also been identified for afforestation against the forest land acquired for Posco, Patnaik said after issuing a direction Forest and Environment Department to start pre-planting operation form current year.
The department has also been asked to initiate extensive plantation activities throughout Jagatsingpur district during this year.
Besides Posco and IOC`s refinery, Jagatsinghpur district is also home Essar Steel, IFFCO`s fertiliser plant
and other industries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender