Orissa HC directs CBI to probe Cuttack land scam
Cuttack: Not satisfied with the action taken report of the Cuttack district administration over the alleged land scam in Cuttack city, Orissa High Court on Wednesday handed over the case to CBI to probe into the allegations.
Asking the CBI to probe into the alleged encroachment
of a canal in the city by land mafias, the Division Bench of
the High Court comprising Justice B P Das and Justice M M Das
also asked the CBI to probe into any other allegations of
encroachment of government land in the city.
"It is open for the CBI to investigate into the entire
allegations of encroachment of government land by land
mafias," the HC said asking the agency to take appropriate
action against all the persons involved in the scam.
Members of the Bar had earlier alleged that prime
government land measuring nearly 400 acres in Abhinav Bidanasi
of the city are grabbed by the mafias with the help of local
revenue officials. The High Court expressing concern of the
fact had directed the district collector to conduct a probe
and submit a report.
Although, the district administration conducted
enquiries and submitted a report, the High Court did not
approve the exercise and ordered to hand over the case to CBI.
Accordingly, the Cuttack Sadar sub-collector has been asked to
act as a nodal officer to assist the central agency.
The members of the bar had brought to the notice of the
High Court that land mafias in connivance with local revenue
staff help unsuspecting buyers to encroach upon government
lands. Subsequently, they helped the buyers to construct
houses on the same plot and insist them to file Encroachment
cases under Orissa Prevention of Land Encroachment Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!