Orissa HC directs state govt to proble rape allegations
Cuttack: Orissa High Court has issued notices to the state government to investigate
allegations of sexual exploitation of tribal girls in government-run residential schools.
The division bench of Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and
Justice BN Mohapatra yesterday issued notices to the state
government asking the government counsel to obtain
instructions within 15 days and fixed the matter to be heard
again after the state government’s reply.
The HC notice came while hearing the PIL filed by
social activist and lawyer Prabir Das, who is also the
petitioner in sensational Pipili rape case.
Das has alleged that a class IX student of a
Bolangir-based government school was raped in the school by
two teachers in July 2011.
While a police case is pending against the two erring
teachers and a woman peon of the school for helping the
teachers, the girl was thrown out of the school.
"Moreover, the girl’s parents have migrated to
neighbouring Andhra Pradesh in search of livelihood,
leaving the girl alone at home to go through the agony
and trauma," the petition said urging the High Court to
interfere and direct the government to pay a damage of Rs five
lakh to the victim.
The petition has also sought the HC’s direction to the
state government to ensure protection, rehabilitation and
resumption of studies of the girl.
Besides, the petitioner has also brought to the notice
of the HC about similar incidents taking place in other
While a class-IV girl of a Koraput-based sevashram was
allegedly raped by the school headmaster in October 2011, four
minor girls (all of class-VIII) in Nabarangpur residential
school were sexually exploited by the headmaster in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok