Orissa HC orders eviction around Puri temple
Cuttack: The Orissa High court today gave its stamp of approval to Shri Jagannath Temple Administration in demolishing all encroachments within 10 feet distance from the boundary wall of the 12th-century shrine to retain its majesty and splendour.
A division bench of Chief Justice C Nagappan and Justice Pradeep K Mohanty directed all the parties concerned to be present on March 29 at 11 am in the office of the chief administrator for measurement to be undertaken by the district administration to demolish the illegal structures.
With this order, the High Court`s stay on eviction drive around the temple imposed last year is now vacated.
The order said all illegal structures should be demolished within 15 days from March 29 and Archaeological Survey of India would complete all repair works of the Lion`s Gate (Singhadwar) of the temple within three months.
The HC also made it clear that no structure close to the wall should have height more than the boundary wall which stands five meters tall.
Following an earlier HC order, the temple authorities had issued notices to Pratihary Nijog (a body of major servitors) in March last year to demolish its office which was close to the boundary wall and stands taller than it.
The Pratihary Nijog moved the HC challenging the notice stating that its office was about 27 feet away from the boundary wall. The HC had then stayed the eviction drive.
During the adjudication of the petition, two HC judges had visited the temple to ascertain if there was any threat to the Lion`s Gate as perceived by many, including ASI.
Puri district collector had also in a report said the Lion`s Gate needed immediate repair as it posed a threat to the devotees visiting the temple.
The report also mentioned that the boundary wall became unsafe by pressure from the nearby Badachhata Mutt.
The collector had suggested immediate demolition of Pratihary Nijog office located between the gate and the mutt for safety reasons. Similar views were expressed by various other agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams