Orissa HC seeks probe panel report on Puri temple stampede
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Thursday asked the state government to submit the report of the Justice P K Mohanty Commission of Enquiry, which was set up to probe the November 2006 stampede in the Jagannath temple at Puri.
A Division Bench headed by Chief Justice A K Goel sought the Commission of Enquiry report submitted to the state government in 2009.
The Commission in its report, among others, had made several recommendations to the government to curb such mishaps.
The high court also asked the state government, Puri district administration and the temple administration to file counters to a PIL filed by Chittaranjan Mohanty, a practising lawyer and a political activist.
Mohanty in his petition had alleged that due to improper security management by the state government, the temple was under the scanner of terrorists.
Annexing a newspaper report, the petitioner had referred to recent video clippings in social media showing aerial views of the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH