Orissa HC seeks probe panel report on Puri temple stampede
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Thursday asked the state government to submit the report of the Justice P K Mohanty Commission of Enquiry, which was set up to probe the November 2006 stampede in the Jagannath temple at Puri.
A Division Bench headed by Chief Justice A K Goel sought the Commission of Enquiry report submitted to the state government in 2009.
The Commission in its report, among others, had made several recommendations to the government to curb such mishaps.
The high court also asked the state government, Puri district administration and the temple administration to file counters to a PIL filed by Chittaranjan Mohanty, a practising lawyer and a political activist.
Mohanty in his petition had alleged that due to improper security management by the state government, the temple was under the scanner of terrorists.
Annexing a newspaper report, the petitioner had referred to recent video clippings in social media showing aerial views of the temple.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India