Orissa HC seeks probe panel report on Puri temple stampede
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Thursday asked the state government to submit the report of the Justice P K Mohanty Commission of Enquiry, which was set up to probe the November 2006 stampede in the Jagannath temple at Puri.
A Division Bench headed by Chief Justice A K Goel sought the Commission of Enquiry report submitted to the state government in 2009.
The Commission in its report, among others, had made several recommendations to the government to curb such mishaps.
The high court also asked the state government, Puri district administration and the temple administration to file counters to a PIL filed by Chittaranjan Mohanty, a practising lawyer and a political activist.
Mohanty in his petition had alleged that due to improper security management by the state government, the temple was under the scanner of terrorists.
Annexing a newspaper report, the petitioner had referred to recent video clippings in social media showing aerial views of the temple.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway