Orissa hikes pay packets of doctors, nurses and pharmacists
Bhubaneswar: Faced with acute scarcity of
doctors in rural areas, the Orissa government on Saturday decided to
appoint 408 doctors and increased the remuneration of those
appointed on contractual basis, official sources said.
While 972 posts of doctors were laying vacant in
different districts, mostly in backward KBK (Kalahandi -
Balaongir-Koraput) region, 408 new doctors would be posted in
a week`s time, they said.
"Orissa Public Service Commission (OPSC) has completed
formalities for the appointment of doctors. They will be
appointed soon", Health and Family Welfare minister Prasanna
Acharya told reporters.
This apart, to attract fresh MBBS graduates towards
government service, he said remmuneration of contractual
doctors, nurses and pharmacists would also be raised.
There are 379 doctors appointed on contractual basis,
he said adding that the MBBS doctors working in KBK region
would henceforth get Rs 24,000 per month from their earlier
Similarly, doctors in non-KBK region would get Rs
20,000 instead of Rs 12,000 per month, the minister said.
Doctors with post-graduate degree working in the KBK
region would get Rs 30,000 a month which was Rs 5,000
more than their earlier remuneration.
The specialist doctors in the non-KBK region would get
Rs 25,000 from Rs 20,000 per month earlier.
Anesthesia specialists working in district head
quarters hospitals would also get a raise from Rs 25,000 to Rs
30,000 a month.
Nurses and pharmacists getting Rs 4,000 a month would
now get Rs 5,200 after revision of salary according to the
recommendation of the 6th Pay Commission, the minister said.
Nurses and pharmacists working in KBK region would get
Rs 2,000 extra, while their counterparts in the non-KBK
backward region would get an additional Rs 1500 per month.
The government decided to enhance the pay packet of
doctors to stop them from moving out of the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok