Orissa holds up permission to operate 23 mines
Bhubaneswar: Orissa has held up permission to operate 23 iron ore mines in its mineral rich Keonjhar district as the operators are yet to submit documents to show that their mining activities were legal, an official said on Saturday.
"We have held up permissions and asked the operators to supply documents like forest clearance, mining lease, and surface rights etc," deputy director (mines) Umesh Chandra Jena told a news agency.
"If they don`t submit the papers within seven days, we will initiate further action against them," he said.
Orissa is one of the largest mineral-bearing states in India having an estimated 16.92 percent of the country`s mineral reserves. The state government started an investigation in July 2009 following allegations that some mines were operating without licence.
The state government earlier this month had said it is likely to seek a ban on the export of iron ore and chrome ore from the state to meet domestic demand and prevent illegal mining.
The steel and mines department has already drafted a proposal and placed it before state Finance Minister Prafulla Ghadai and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for approval.
Once it is approved, the government will send a formal proposal to the central government, a senior official of the state steel and mines department said.
Orissa has approximately 600 mines and more than half of them have been closed since over an year after the government tightened rules to prevent illegal mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you