Orissa: Input subsidy to farmers, not land owners
Bhubaneswar: Orissa government on Saturday decided
to give input subsidy to cultivators instead of land owners
for the damage of kharif crop due to the floods in the state.
The decision to give benefits to real farmers was
taken at a stock taking meeting chaired by chief minister
Naveen Patnaik here. "The village committees will identify the
actual cultivators who sustained crop loss due to the floods,"
Revenue and Disaster Management minister SN Patro said.
While actual farmers suffer loss due to damage of crop
during calamities, the land owners usually get compensation,
Patro pointed out adding that the chief minister this time
decided to give input subsidy to the real cultivators.
Though the share croppers do not have land documents,
they will get benefits, the minister said.
The chief minister also issued instructions to district
collectors to submit the actual crop damage report to the
government by end of October so that the input subsidy
could be distributed in the month of November.
According to preliminary estimation, two spells of
floods caused damage to standing crops in about 4.38 lakh
hectare of land.
Patnaik also asked officials to distribute 1.1 lakh
seeds among farmers for the ensuing rabi crop.
Meanwhile, BJP`s central team led by Gopinath Munde
visited several flood affected areas in Puri district and
alleged that both the Centre and the state government have
failed to manage floods properly.
Governor MC Bhandre also visited flood affected Gop
and Kanas area of Puri district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees