Orissa introduces bill to reserve 50 per cent seats for women
Bhubaneswar: In a bid to ensure larger
representation of women in local self-government at the
grass-root level, the Orissa government on Tuesday introduced a
bill in the state Assembly to reserve half of seats of members
and chairpersons for women in panchayati raj institutions.
The objective of the bill is to reserve 50 per cent of
seats for women in the three-tire panchayati raj institutions
instead of the earlier provision of not less than one-third of
The Orissa Panchayat Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2011, will
come for debate later, said Panchayati Raj Minister Prafulla
The state government also introduced separate bills
for increasing salaries and allowances of speaker, deputy
speaker, ministers and MLAs.
While the bills relating to the reservation for women
and hike in the salaries of speaker, deputy speaker, ministers
and MLAs were taken to business advisory committee for fixing
schedule of discussion on them, the house initiated debate on
the Appropriation Bill, 2011.
The bill was introduced by Revenue Minister SN Patro
on behalf of Finance Minister PC Ghadai.
Initiating debate, the leader of opposition Bhupinder
Singh of Congress accused the state government of failing on
"This government has failed in every sector and earned
bad name for the state through a series of scams in mining,
coal and dal," Singh said accusing the BJD government of
encouraging encouraging industries at the cost of farmers.
The opposition leader reiterated demanded of CBI
probe in different corruption cases even as the state
government had rejected it.
While farmers commit suicides under loan burden, the
state government had no sympathy towards their families. "The
government had taken no step to stop suicide by farmers,"
Alleging that the state government was "bending" laws
to benefit corporate houses and other influential persons,
poor and innocent tribals were subjected to torture and
branded as Maoists by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit