Orissa introduces bill to reserve 50 per cent seats for women
Bhubaneswar: In a bid to ensure larger
representation of women in local self-government at the
grass-root level, the Orissa government on Tuesday introduced a
bill in the state Assembly to reserve half of seats of members
and chairpersons for women in panchayati raj institutions.
The objective of the bill is to reserve 50 per cent of
seats for women in the three-tire panchayati raj institutions
instead of the earlier provision of not less than one-third of
The Orissa Panchayat Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2011, will
come for debate later, said Panchayati Raj Minister Prafulla
The state government also introduced separate bills
for increasing salaries and allowances of speaker, deputy
speaker, ministers and MLAs.
While the bills relating to the reservation for women
and hike in the salaries of speaker, deputy speaker, ministers
and MLAs were taken to business advisory committee for fixing
schedule of discussion on them, the house initiated debate on
the Appropriation Bill, 2011.
The bill was introduced by Revenue Minister SN Patro
on behalf of Finance Minister PC Ghadai.
Initiating debate, the leader of opposition Bhupinder
Singh of Congress accused the state government of failing on
"This government has failed in every sector and earned
bad name for the state through a series of scams in mining,
coal and dal," Singh said accusing the BJD government of
encouraging encouraging industries at the cost of farmers.
The opposition leader reiterated demanded of CBI
probe in different corruption cases even as the state
government had rejected it.
While farmers commit suicides under loan burden, the
state government had no sympathy towards their families. "The
government had taken no step to stop suicide by farmers,"
Alleging that the state government was "bending" laws
to benefit corporate houses and other influential persons,
poor and innocent tribals were subjected to torture and
branded as Maoists by the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug