Orissa likely to launch anti-Maoist operation by month end

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 23:06

Bhubaneswar: A high alert was sounded in
Orissa in the wake of the killing of 24 EFR jawans by Maoists
in West Bengal amidst indications by the state government that
the joint special operations against the red rebels would be
launched by month end.

The decision on the joint special operations was taken at
a high-level meeting here chaired by Chief Minister Naveen
Patnaik, who had already given the go ahead, official sources
said.

"We will start the operation immediately after arrival of
the central para-military force (CPMF)," a top police
official, who attended the meeting, told newsmen.

The operational head of the central forces had already
visited some parts of southern Orissa, a procedure generally
followed before launching of a joint operation, he said adding
the combat operation was likely to start in worst hit
districts like Malkangiri, Koraput and Rayagada.

"We cannot give the exact date of launching of the
operation. Every thing depends on the force arrival," he said.

Chief secretary T K Mishra said at least five battalions
of the CPMF were likely to arrive very soon.

Director of Intelligence Prakash Mishra said the jawans
engaged in anti-Maoist operation would be kept at fortified
places after yesterday`s attacks in West Bengal.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 23:06

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus