Orissa: Maoists blow up panchyayat office, set ablaze youth
Malkangiri (Orissa): Maoists blew up a
panchayat office with landmines in Malkangiri district on Thursday,
three days after setting ablaze the son of a village head in
the same district, official sources said.
A 50-strong group stormed into Niliguda under Padia
block, about 35 km from here, and triggered landmine
explosions to blow up the gram panchayat building, Padia Block
Development Officer, Subhash Singh said.
The ceiling of the two-storied building caved in and
the structure suffered extensive damage in the blast, he said
adding the same building had come under attack by ultras
during construction last year.
In the earlier attack on Sunday night, a group of
rebels physically assaulted Penta Majhi, son of a village head
at Kurab under Kalimela police station areaand burnt him to
death, a police official said today.
The family members of Penta, aged around 24 years, did
not initially lodge the complaint and hence official
information about the incident trickled out only three days
later, he said.
Investigation revealed Maoists were believed to have
asked Penta to join their outfit but he refused.
Before the two attacks, Maoists had lied low in the
district since the abduction and release of then Malkangiri
Collector R V Krishna in February, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing