Orissa mine officials seize unclaimed manganese ore
Bhubaneswar: Mine officials in Orissa have seized high quality manganese ore worth Rs.2 crore from the state`s mineral rich Keonjhar district, officials said Tuesday.
The ore was lying near Banspani railway station and there was no claimant. The ore was mined illegally by some people recently and was meant to be transported outside the state, an official said.
Local mine department officials spotted the ore Monday and seized it. "The station master has been asked to keep it in his custody," Deputy Director of mines U.C. Jena told agency.
Orissa has about 16 percent of the country`s mineral reserves.
Investigation into the illegal mining by various state and central agencies started after some politicians alleged in July that some mines were operating without licences.
Last month, the state mining department ordered suspension of work in 128 mines and suspended licences of more than 400 traders of different ores after they failed to produce documents to show that their mining activities were legal.
Keonjhar district is about 235 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL