Orissa: Minister denies link with alleged rapist
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 21:52
  
Bhubaneswar: Amidst a statewide outcry demanding his resignation from the council of ministers over the alleged rape of a dalit girl at Pipili in Puri district, Orissa's Agriculture minister Pradeep Maharathy on Tuesday denied charges against him.

"I have no link with the accused persons though the incident took place in my assembly segment of Pipili," Maharathy said rejecting the allegations of harbouring the criminals at his farm house.

Terming allegations against him as "false" and "baseless", the Agriculture minister said that he came to know about the alleged rape incident only from the media. "As I came to know about the incident from media, how can I provide them (criminals) shelter," the minister said.

Claiming that he was busy in election campaigning for the ruling BJD candidate at Umarkote in Nabarangpur district on the date of the alleged rape incident, the minister said "I have not put any pressure on the police in this matter."

"Not in this case, I have never put pressure on the police in any matter," he claimed adding that he had absolute faith on the judiciary.

"I hope the Judicial Commission will unearth the truth behind the incident. I also hope that the state's criminal investigation department, crime branch will catch the culprits involved in the alleged rape incident," he added.

Prasanta Pradhan the prime accused and two other accused Purna Chandra Swain and Premananda Nayak had so far been arrested while one Abu Pradhan, was still at large.

PTI


First Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 21:52


comments powered by Disqus