Orissa: Minister denies link with alleged rapist
Bhubaneswar: Amidst a statewide outcry
demanding his resignation from the council of ministers over
the alleged rape of a dalit girl at Pipili in Puri district,
Orissa`s Agriculture minister Pradeep Maharathy on Tuesday denied
charges against him.
"I have no link with the accused persons though the
incident took place in my assembly segment of Pipili,"
Maharathy said rejecting the allegations of harbouring the
criminals at his farm house.
Terming allegations against him as "false" and
"baseless", the Agriculture minister said that he came to know
about the alleged rape incident only from the media. "As I
came to know about the incident from media, how can I provide
them (criminals) shelter," the minister said.
Claiming that he was busy in election campaigning for
the ruling BJD candidate at Umarkote in Nabarangpur district
on the date of the alleged rape incident, the minister said
"I have not put any pressure on the police in this matter."
"Not in this case, I have never put pressure on the
police in any matter," he claimed adding that he had absolute
faith on the judiciary.
"I hope the Judicial Commission will unearth the truth
behind the incident. I also hope that the state`s criminal
investigation department, crime branch will catch the culprits
involved in the alleged rape incident," he added.
Prasanta Pradhan the prime accused and two other accused
Purna Chandra Swain and Premananda Nayak had so far been
arrested while one Abu Pradhan, was still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai