Orissa minister may face judicial probe
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Friday
observed that the involvement of School and Mass Education
Minister Pratap Jena in a case relating to violation of its
order on noise pollution cannot be ruled out.
The observation was made by the Division Bench of
Justices BP Das and MM Das while hearing a case relating to
violation of the HC order on noise pollution.
Terming the affidavits filed by state home secretary
and director general of police (DGP) over the matter as
`contradictory`, the bench told the advocate general that the
minister`s involvement in the alleged affair cannot be ruled
"The Court may not hesitate to order for a Judicial
Commission of Enquiry in this matter," the HC said adding that
the decision of involvement of the minister in the alleged
incident would be taken up during next hearing.
The case pertains to a report published last month in
a vernacular daily stating that Jena, moisturising his
official powers, denied a police officer to perform his duties
in accordance to court orders.
While adhering to a Supreme Court guideline, the
Orissa High Court had ordered that no marriage procession
shall be allowed accompanying band party and bursting of
crackers after 10 pm.
But on March 11, a man from Nischintkoili block who is
believed to be a close confidant of the minister, defied this
order in his marriage procession.
The matter was brought to the notice of local Salepur
police station by some residents who complained that the
procession was disturbing students preparing for Matriculation
examination scheduled to begin on March 16.
The police then took the band party into custody and
asked the procession to proceed without the accompanying music
system. Minister Jena then went to the thana and refused to
budge until the band party was allowed to accompany the
procession. The police yielded to the minister`s demand.
Alleging that the minister should be booked for
contempt of court charges, a social worker had moved the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog