Orissa minister may face judicial probe
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court on Friday
observed that the involvement of School and Mass Education
Minister Pratap Jena in a case relating to violation of its
order on noise pollution cannot be ruled out.
The observation was made by the Division Bench of
Justices BP Das and MM Das while hearing a case relating to
violation of the HC order on noise pollution.
Terming the affidavits filed by state home secretary
and director general of police (DGP) over the matter as
`contradictory`, the bench told the advocate general that the
minister`s involvement in the alleged affair cannot be ruled
"The Court may not hesitate to order for a Judicial
Commission of Enquiry in this matter," the HC said adding that
the decision of involvement of the minister in the alleged
incident would be taken up during next hearing.
The case pertains to a report published last month in
a vernacular daily stating that Jena, moisturising his
official powers, denied a police officer to perform his duties
in accordance to court orders.
While adhering to a Supreme Court guideline, the
Orissa High Court had ordered that no marriage procession
shall be allowed accompanying band party and bursting of
crackers after 10 pm.
But on March 11, a man from Nischintkoili block who is
believed to be a close confidant of the minister, defied this
order in his marriage procession.
The matter was brought to the notice of local Salepur
police station by some residents who complained that the
procession was disturbing students preparing for Matriculation
examination scheduled to begin on March 16.
The police then took the band party into custody and
asked the procession to proceed without the accompanying music
system. Minister Jena then went to the thana and refused to
budge until the band party was allowed to accompany the
procession. The police yielded to the minister`s demand.
Alleging that the minister should be booked for
contempt of court charges, a social worker had moved the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Bank chief meets PM Modi, promises support to sustainable development
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy