Orissa opposition MLAs end 14-day dharna inside assembly
Bhubaneswar: Orissa opposition legislators,
who were on an unprecedented dharna inside the state assembly
for the past 14 days protesting its sine die adjournment two
weeks ahead of schedule, ended their agitation on Saturday.
The opposition MLAs, belonging to Congress and BJP
besides Independents, also held mock assembly during the
period after the Speaker adjourned the winter session sine die
on December 5 against its scheduled closure on December 19.
"In the fourteen days, we discussed 89 questions and 11
adjournment motions. It also passed five motions," the Leader
of the Opposition, Bhupinder Singh said.
Congress chief whip, Prasad Harichandan said the state
government had abruptly ended the winter session fearing
discussions on the multi-crore mining scam and growing
incidents of suicide by farmers in the state.
"It was nothing but a publicity drama", said
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Raghunath Mohanty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog