Orissa orders judicial inquiry into advocate killing case
Bhubaneswar: Orissa government today ordered
a judicial probe into death of a young advocate in police
firing at Bagalpur in Cuttack district besides announcing an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to his family.
"The Chief minister has already ordered a judicial
probe into the death of the advocate during a clash between
public and police at Bagalpur in Cuttack district," Home
secretary A P Padhi told reporters.
Stating that the term of reference of the judicial
commission would soon be notified, the Home secretary claimed
that situation at Bagalpur area was "completely" under control
after Inspector General (IG) of police, Central Range visited
As many as 12 platoons (about 360 personnel) of force
had been deployed at the spot in order to prevent further
escalation of tension.
Bishnu Das, a practising lawyer at Cuttack criminal court
bar had died during the clash which took place yesterday,
Padhi said adding that the agitating people had meanwhile
withdrawn the road blockade.
The situation yesterday turned violent when agitating
villagers were demanding a thorough probe into the death of
Pradeep Samantaray of Indra village, whose body was found on
August 20 in the area. They alleged that the youth had been
murdered contrary to police version that the death was due to
a road accident.
At least 16 policemen, including Cuttack (Rural) SP
Rajatkanti Mishra, were injured in the stone-throwing, police
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!