Orissa orders judicial inquiry into advocate killing case
Bhubaneswar: Orissa government on Tuesday ordered
a judicial probe into death of a young advocate in police
firing at Bagalpur in Cuttack district besides announcing an
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to his family.
"The Chief minister has already ordered a judicial
probe into the death of the advocate during a clash between
public and police at Bagalpur in Cuttack district," Home
secretary A P Padhi told reporters.
Stating that the term of reference of the judicial
commission would soon be notified, the Home secretary claimed
that situation at Bagalpur area was "completely" under control
after Inspector General (IG) of police, Central Range visited
As many as 12 platoons (about 360 personnel) of force
had been deployed at the spot in order to prevent further
escalation of tension.
Bishnu Das, a practising lawyer at Cuttack criminal court
bar had died during the clash which took place yesterday,
Padhi said adding that the agitating people had meanwhile
withdrawn the road blockade.
The situation yesterday turned violent when agitating
villagers were demanding a thorough probe into the death of
Pradeep Samantaray of Indra village, whose body was found on
August 20 in the area. They alleged that the youth had been
murdered contrary to police version that the death was due to
a road accident.
At least 16 policemen, including Cuttack (Rural) SP
Rajatkanti Mishra, were injured in the stone-throwing, police
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand