Orissa orders judicial probe into assault on magistrate
Bhubaneswar: Orissa government on Monday
announced a judicial inquiry into the alleged physical assault
on a judicial magistrate by police in Rourkela and also
suspended the Inspector-in-Charge of the police station.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced in the assembly
about the judicial inquiry after opposition members raised the
issue relating to the assault of a judicial magistrate at a
police station in Rourkela on Saturday night.
The state government also placed Inspector-in-Charge
of Uditnagar Police Station Sadananda Pujari under suspension
with immediate effect, Patnaik informed the House.
Commission of Inquiry will be appointed in
consultation with the Chief Justice of the Orissa High Court,
the chief minister said.
"Government has decided to institute a judicial
inquiry into the incident at Rourkela on the night of April 2,
2011 involving the judicial Magistrate First Class Sri Arun
Patnaik and the local police," the chief minister said.
Earlier, the state government had ordered an
administrative inquiry by the Revenue Divisional Commissioner
(RDC), Sambalpur, into the alleged matter after advocates
across the state protested the "police excess".
First Class Judicial Magistrate of Panposh, Arun Kumar
Patnaik had complained that he was forcefully taken to police
station, abused and physically assaulted by the police of
Uditnagar police station.
Patnaik in an FIR filed before the police said
patrolling police led by Inspector Sadanand Pujari forcefully
took him to the police station, abused and physically
assaulted on Saturday night.
Advocates of different Bar Associations including the
High Court Bar Association condemned the incident and demanded
stringent action against the police persons involved in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof