"We have not breached the agreement made during the
hostage crisis in February. The state government had agreed
that it would not take any coercive action unless the
extremists indulge in any unlawful activities. But they were
found indulging in them," Director General of Police in-charge
Anup Patnaik told reporters here.
Patnaik, who was replying to a question on
allegations by the three mediators, said contrary to the
agreement the Maoists were roaming with fire arms and issuing
threats to blow up gram panchayat and school buildings. They
were also conducting training camps in jungles which were
'totally unacceptable and amounted to illegal activities'.
Referring to yesterday's killing of a woman Maoist in
an encounter in Malkangiri district, the DGP in-charge said it
was the ultras who opened fire on security personnel who then
"If the Maoists indulge in violence we have every
right to defend ourselves. In an encounter, the security
personnel need to go all out. Killing of the woman maoist in
Malkangiri is the result of an encounter," he said.
The Maoist-selected mediators G Hargopal, R S Rao and
Dandapani Mohanty had written in a letter to Chief Minister
Naveen Patnaik last week expressing displeasure over the
combing operation against Maoists in certain parts of the
The three mediators and the secretaries to home and
panchayati raj departments had agreed on certain points in
February to ensure the safe release of Malkangiri collector
R Vineel Krishna and junior engineer Pabitra Majhi.
Following the release of the two men, the state
government stopped the combing operation against rebels for
over one month. But it later started taking action against
ultras as they were found instigating violence, a senior home
department official said.
Bhubaneswar: Defending coercive action
against Maoists, Orissa police on Monday said it had not breached
the agreement between mediators and the state government but
by the rebels themselves.
First Published: Monday, April 25, 2011, 18:24