Orissa police threaten strike over assault on colleague
Bhubaneswar: The police association in Orissa on Monday threatened to launch a strike to protest an alleged assault on their colleague by a ruling party MP in Cuttack while he was on duty.
"If the government does not take action on the matter within the next 24 hours, we will not do any duty related to VIP security," Sunil Mohanty, secretary of the All Orissa Police Association, told reporters.
Bhartruhari Mahtab of Biju Janata Dal, member of parliament from Cuttack, allegedly assaulted Sub-Inspector Amitabha Mohapatra inside the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Birthplace Museum in Cuttack, 26 km from the capital.
According to the complaint, the incident took place a few minutes after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik arrived to attend a special programme commemorating the 114th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
Mahatab allegedly assaulted Mohapatra after the police officer prevented his supporters from entering the complex through a narrow passage citing security reasons.
Although Mahtab was allowed inside, his supporters were allegedly prevented because of security reasons and following directions of the higher authorities.
Angry over the refusal, Mahtab allegedly came out and assaulted Mohapatra, inspector in charge of the local police station SK Dash told a news agency.
Police have registered a criminal case against Mahtab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31