Orissa rape case: Cong demand Panigrahi removal
Bhubaneswar: Intensifying its agitation
demanding removal of Jyoti Panigrahi as chairperson of State
Commission for Women (SCW) over the alleged Pipili rape case,
Congress activists on Tuesday gheraoed the SCW office and got the
support of five Opposition parties on the issue.
Activists led by State Mahila Congress president
Bijaylaxmi Sahoo staged a demonstration and demanded removal
and arrest of Panigrahi who in her report to the state
government mentioned that there was no credible evidence of
rape of the 19-year-old Dalit girl.
"Panigrahi has no moral right to continue in the post as
she attempted to protect the accused persons," said Sahoo.
CPI, CPI(M), Forward Bloc, RJD and SP in a joint
memorandum to the governor demanded Panigrahi`s removal
terming the SCW`s report as "distorted".
The SCW chairperson, however, said, "I will like to
request the leaders to understand agony of a girl who is
struggling for survival at the ICU. The girl may feel shocked
to know after her recovery that she has been described as a
Meanwhile, a two-member team of the National Commission
for Scheduled Caste led by its director Dibakar Basak visited
Arjundaga village in Puri district and met family members of
The team also met Home Secretary UN Behera and doctors
at government hospitals at Pipili and Capital Hospital here.
The team members were scheduled to meet the victim at the SCB
medical college hospital in Cuttack tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India