Orissa rape case: Cong demand Panigrahi removal
Bhubaneswar: Intensifying its agitation
demanding removal of Jyoti Panigrahi as chairperson of State
Commission for Women (SCW) over the alleged Pipili rape case,
Congress activists on Tuesday gheraoed the SCW office and got the
support of five Opposition parties on the issue.
Activists led by State Mahila Congress president
Bijaylaxmi Sahoo staged a demonstration and demanded removal
and arrest of Panigrahi who in her report to the state
government mentioned that there was no credible evidence of
rape of the 19-year-old Dalit girl.
"Panigrahi has no moral right to continue in the post as
she attempted to protect the accused persons," said Sahoo.
CPI, CPI(M), Forward Bloc, RJD and SP in a joint
memorandum to the governor demanded Panigrahi`s removal
terming the SCW`s report as "distorted".
The SCW chairperson, however, said, "I will like to
request the leaders to understand agony of a girl who is
struggling for survival at the ICU. The girl may feel shocked
to know after her recovery that she has been described as a
Meanwhile, a two-member team of the National Commission
for Scheduled Caste led by its director Dibakar Basak visited
Arjundaga village in Puri district and met family members of
The team also met Home Secretary UN Behera and doctors
at government hospitals at Pipili and Capital Hospital here.
The team members were scheduled to meet the victim at the SCB
medical college hospital in Cuttack tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31