Orissa school girls to get free cycles
Bhubaneswar: Orissa on Tuesday decided to distribute free bicycles to Class 10 girl students with an aim to improve the state`s female literacy rate which has remained considerably low compared to the national average.
"All girl students studying in Class 10 in government and government-aided schools will be given free bicycles," Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik here told reporters announcing his government`s decision.
Patnaik also said the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe male students studying in Class 10 in government and government-aided schools will also given the same facility.
He said the bicycles will be distributed from the coming academic season this year and about 177,000 students will benefit from it. The female literacy rate in Orissa is 50.97 percent against the national average of 54.28 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?