Orissa to regain power surplus state status in two years
Bhubaneswar: Optimistic of Orissa
regaining its `power surplus` status by 2012, the government
today said it would get about 1400 MW from thermal power
plants being set up by independent power producers (IPPs).
This was stated by Orissa`s Energy minister Atanu S
Nayak while replying to an adjournment motion on the acute
power crisis in the state during summer this year.
Stating that there were plans to set up 33 thermal
power plants, both in the public and private sector, to
produce additional electricity in the state, Nayak said about
2400 MW of power would be generated this year.
"About 2950 MW of electricity will be generated in the
next two years of which the state`s share will be about 1400
MW," the minister said.
Orissa which is facing scarcity of about 500 MW of
power, would soon regain its status of being a power surplus
state, he said.
Attributing this year`s load shedding to erratic
monsoon and deficient rainfall in 2009, the minister said the
state mostly depended on hydro-power to meet requirements.
With the water level in all reservoirs falling by
about 30 to 35 per cent this time, the state generated 2,000
million unit less than usual from hydel projects.
This apart, the demand for electricity had also gone up
due to rapid industrialisation, rural electrification and
additional number of domestic consumers.
Leader of the Opposition Bhupinder Singh, however,
said "the government has no plan to meet the growing demand
Leader of BJP legislature party K V Singhdeo rejected
the state government`s claim that it would get due share from
IPPs which were setting up units here.
"You have MoUs with IPPs and not legal agreements.
Therefore, the IPPs may not contribute to the state," Singhdeo
said and asked the government to enter into agreements
with IPPs before giving them land, water and coal for thermal
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal