Orissa to seek help from corporates to solve water crisis
Berhampur (Orissa): Faced with drinking
water crisis in several urban areas, Orissa government is now
planning to seek help from public sector and private corporate
houses to mitigate the problem.
"We need assistance from major corporate houses to
tackle the drinking water crisis in major urban areas in the
state," Minister of State for Housing and Urban Development
Badrinarayan Patra said here.
Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL) has agreed in
principle to fund around Rs 40 crore for creating a water body
to solve the crisis in western Orissa towns - Brajaraj Nagar,
Jharsuguda and Belphar. While the MCL set up a water body, the
government will fund the laying of pipeline for water
distribution, the minister said.
"We have discussed with the authorities of Rourkela
Steel Plant for construction of a check dam on the nearby
river, which will help tackle the drinking water crisis in
Rourkela," he said.
"We will also explore the possibility of help from
other industrial houses to tackle drinking water crisis in
other places like Berhampur and Titilagarh," Patra said.
The minister said he would discuss with local MLAs and
ministers to explore the possibility of assistance from
corporate houses like Tata Steel, Indian Rare Earths Limited
or some other PSUs for another drinking water project for
Berhampur town. The Tata Steel has acquired around 3,500 acres
for a project near here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly