Orissa to seek help from corporates to solve water crisis
Berhampur (Orissa): Faced with drinking
water crisis in several urban areas, Orissa government is now
planning to seek help from public sector and private corporate
houses to mitigate the problem.
"We need assistance from major corporate houses to
tackle the drinking water crisis in major urban areas in the
state," Minister of State for Housing and Urban Development
Badrinarayan Patra said here.
Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL) has agreed in
principle to fund around Rs 40 crore for creating a water body
to solve the crisis in western Orissa towns - Brajaraj Nagar,
Jharsuguda and Belphar. While the MCL set up a water body, the
government will fund the laying of pipeline for water
distribution, the minister said.
"We have discussed with the authorities of Rourkela
Steel Plant for construction of a check dam on the nearby
river, which will help tackle the drinking water crisis in
Rourkela," he said.
"We will also explore the possibility of help from
other industrial houses to tackle drinking water crisis in
other places like Berhampur and Titilagarh," Patra said.
The minister said he would discuss with local MLAs and
ministers to explore the possibility of assistance from
corporate houses like Tata Steel, Indian Rare Earths Limited
or some other PSUs for another drinking water project for
Berhampur town. The Tata Steel has acquired around 3,500 acres
for a project near here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP