Orissa to set up directorate for physically disabled persons
Bhubaneswar: Orissa government today
decided to set up a separate directorate for physically
challenged persons besides amending industrial policy
resolution (IPR) to reserve jobs for them in industries.
"IPR needs to be amended to provide job reservation
for the physically challenged," Women and Child Development
Minister Pramila Malick told reporters after a high level
meeting chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
It was also decided to supply rice at Rs 2/kg to
physically challenged persons on the line of BPL families, she
said adding special schools for handicapped students would
now be under the school and mass education department.
All the 116 special schools would get grants from
Sarva Sikshya Abhiyan (SSA) after they come under the
department, the minister said.
About 81 un-aided schools imparting education to
disabled students would also get government aid.
With disabled persons facing difficulties in getting
handicapped certificates from district headquarter hospitals,
the government decided to make the facility available at block
levels. "Physically challenged persons can now get
certificates from community health centres (CHCs)," she said.
Besides setting up an industrial training institute
(ITI) for them, the state government decided to build a
special women’s hostel here to lodge working disabled females.
There were about 10 lakh disabled persons in the
state, the minister said.
A monitoring committee headed by the Chief Minister
would oversee implementation of these plans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Bihar's Nirbhaya case: Prime accused in Motihari gang-rape arrested
- Brexit Vote: UK decides to quit European Union; PM David Cameron to resign
- BJD members stone Textile Minister Santosh Gangwar’s car in Odisha, MLA arrested
- Watch: Arjun Kapoor makes his voice-over debut as 'Buck' in Hindi trailer of 'Ice Age Collision Course'!
- Govt, RBI seek to soothe wracked investor nerves after Brexit