Orissa vigilance begins probe into OPL investments
Bhubaneswar: The Vigilance Department has
started inquiry into alleged investment of illegal money in
the recently concluded Orissa Premier League (OPL) cricket
tournament, official sources said on Saturday.
"The vigilance department decided to investigate the
franchise owners of OPL as they spent a lot of money in the
three-week cricket tournament," Director of Vigilance Anup
Kumar Patnaik said.
The OPL tournament which concluded in June had raised
eyebrows because of lavish spending by franchise owners. Ten
franchise owners had spent Rs 20 crore in purchasing teams and
The department was investigating a former motor
vehicles department inspector, a co-owner of the Cuttack
franchise, which was sold at Rs 35 lakh.
"Documents are being verified and the former inspector
is being questioned," Patnaik said.
The department had recently filed a chargesheet
against the former inspector.
BJD MLA from Paradip, Damodar Rout, a former minister
was among the first to raise questions on the OPL matches.
Demanding a through probe, Rout had alleged that money
raised form illegal mining was invested in the OPL matches.
Secretary of Orissa Cricket Association (OCA) Asribad
Behera welcomed the investigation by the vigilance.
"The OPL matches were conducted in a most transparent
manner," Behera claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown